2.26.2008

Free blueberries.


On a work related tip...One of my many tasks at the 'ol job, is to put together a video commemorating our 125 years as a company. I've been working with this man, that I like to call the video dude, to produce this piece. We've been interviewing and collecting all the bits and pieces we need, and today we went out "on assignment" with a co-worker. All I could think about was how boring this was going to be and I hope I don't get dirty!

It turned out to be one of the most interesting things! There is a park called Blueberry Park off of 72nd Street. It used to be 20 acres of scotchbroom, blackberry bushes and 'working girls'. After many years of transforming these acres, it's full of blueberry bushes and trails. It's still a work in progress, but I was digging it! And if you know me at all, you know I don't "dig" the outdoors all that much! The woman who has lead this revitalization is 80 years old, and made me laugh! Not only is she ultra-committed to the park project, but she told me of her other 2 projects in the works...to legalize prostitution and marijuana! I died! I hope I'm that funky when I'm 80.

No,
I didn't find my inner love for volunteering or ways to "give back to the community". Here's the most interesting bit of information I took from this great volunteer project...I can come in August and pick all of the blueberries I want FOR FREE! Love free. Love blueberries. You'll find the Pupu and I there on an early August morning this summer with our buckets!

(Here's the link to the actual story.)

No comments: